Sunday 20 July 2014

Collecting is an Addiction

I love to collect; in fact I probably have slight OCD sometimes when I get into something. This could be anything from Yu-Gi-Oh cards to cake decorating tools (I have cutters for about 6 different flowers all in various sizes and several butterfly cutters, to name a few).

Once I get into something I will focus on it and obsess over it, before the next new thing catches my eye. I call it OCDADD. It's a problem but it also means I always have some cool new stuff to open, use or display.




My current obsession is collectibles, these either come with my monthly Loot Crate, picked up from conventions, with special editions or brought the old fashioned way.



The inspiration for writing this was because I picked up a free “toy” from Toys'R'Us. I say that in quotes as even though this was a TRU give-away the box actual says “Adult Collectible”. The toy in question is a double pack of small die-cast Optimus Primes. And now I notice that it even says on the bottom that “This is not a toy”. One of the Primes is the classic Generation 1 Optimus and the other is from the Bay era. Though I do like both designs even if I'm a G1 fan and hate the Michael Bay films.


This collectible is great, as the last Loot Crate I received last month was themed around Transformers so I had even more to display, and better yet I had a few chibi Transformer collectibles for my birthday. The power of coincidence was strong last month.

I have friends that also have many collectibles that are displayed in front of their TV. Some are from anime, others from comics and they even have various ones that their daughter has got in Kinder Surprise’s.

We call that area under the TV the shelf of awesome and I have my own one, although at some point this has spread.


I think another reason for our collections sudden increase in size and positions of prominence comes from a great collector and reviewer of “tat” Ashens.

Ashens is a YouTuber who often reviews the aforementioned “tat” that he acquires from cheap (think PoundLand) stores around the world. Sometimes from his own purchases and other times from things he is sent. You can check out what goes on his shelf of excellence, or what doesn't make it, here youtube.com/ashens

As for my collection, it continues to grow as the space to display decreases. Some of the less impressive collectibles may soon have to be relegated to a box in the loft where so many more are currently kept.

Tell me what things you collect or share your collectibles pics in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment