Sunday 2 October 2016

7 reasons why Ashes is better than Magic

Below you will find the seven reasons why I prefer Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn over Magic: The Gathering (MTG). This list is purely my opinion and I still think MTG is a great game but just prefer what Ashes has done with the two player, spellcaster, card game genre.


1. The First Five

I love that you can start with whichever starting hand you wish. This way you can start your engine early and don't ever start with a hand you need to mulligan.

2. Drawing up to 5 each turn


No top decking. I hate in MTG when you've had to expend your whole hand are are just hoping for a lucky break. With hand replenishment each turn this doesn't happen you always have the same number of cards as your opponent (outside of drawing abilities/spells).

3. Dice


I love dice and dice rolling. Also these means you have the same amount of energy each round and aren't hoping for that Mountain or Forest you need to play a spell. This leads to the game starting stronger instead of a slow build up over many turns.

4. Artwork


Now don't get me wrong the rt in MTG can be amazing, but it's also inconsistent. In Ashes its the same artist throughout. Not only is she an amazing artist but it gives the game a consistent look and feel that I love.

5. It's not a TCG/CCG


This is one of those things that my wallet appreciates. I have all the decks and therefore all the cards. No random boosters hoping to get that card you need. Not sure if this means it's classed as a living card game (though think Fantasy Flight Games have trademarked this).

6. The Phoenixborn


I like that you have a unique character that represents you. They also have their own power and signature cards. These just add a touch of flavour to your deck but still let you build your deck in a variety of ways.


7. Deck-building


Every deck is 30 cards. No more, no less. Your conjurations are separate from this. Running out of cards I a big deal so keeping everyone to the same size deck is great.


This list is in no particular order, it's just some of the things that make the game, for me, more enjoyable than Magic: The gathering, and other similar games. Isaac Vega has done a great job of streamlining this formula and giving it enough unique elements to stand on its own. I can't wait to see what new decks will add to it and to start deck-building myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment