Monday 16 April 2012

Keeping the crows at bay


A few years ago a friend introduced me to a book by the writer Matthew Reilly. Now I eagerly await getting my hands on each new release.

His latest book follows the exploits of one of his two main protagonists, Captain Shane Michael Schofield, call-sign Scarecrow. His books are like good 80's action movies (you know the last time they were good), think Die Hard meets Navy Seals (I know this came out in 1990 but it's an 80's action film at heart).


His other character, Jack West Jr, is more your Indiana Jones type with exceptional globe trotting adventures featuring great villains, wacky traps and a bit of mysticism.

All his books are great escapism that can be read as quickly as the action progresses and sometimes things go crazely fast. So crazy that you'll be glad Mr Reilly has provided some illustrations of the locales so you can tell what has blown up or been changed in some high octane way.

The latest book Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves is no exception, in fact so much action at been thrown at me the reader that I could have sworn I was pages from the end only to realise that I was at the half way mark. This was a good thing as it meant Scarecrow and his team were thrown into more situations that I didn't see coming, sometimes getting really dark and a touch gruesome.

I really can't recommend any of this authors books enough, especially to those sick of the big box office, explosion filled, lacking, Michael Bay films. You have characters that you care about, a story that keeps you intrigued and action that would really push Hollywood special effects teams to the very edge.

So turn away from the screen (unless you have an e-reader) flip open a page, and enjoy something that will keep you going until the last page is turned and you can once again take a breath.

Jumping on points:

Scarecrow – Ice Station
Jack West Jr – Seven Ancient Wonders

No comments:

Post a Comment